25 strange facts about Japan
Information about Japanese culture, traditions and customs which can shock us.
1. The strongest swear words in Japanese is comparable to our words “fool” or “idiot”. The degree of insult depends on intonation and volume, which had uttered these words.
2. In the Japanese language uses three scripts: kanji (Chinese characters), Hiragana (the system for writing Japanese words phonetically) and Katakana (a system for writing foreign words phonetically).
3. The Japanese language includes several levels of politeness: conversational, respectful, polite and very courteous. Most women communicates using respectful forms of speech, and men – spoken.
4. In Japanese, the months have no names, instead they are marked with serial numbers. For example, September is “kugatsu”, which means “ninth month”.
5. In Japan specifically relate to pornography. It is sold here at every step. In each store on a rack with the press is bound to have a shelf with hentai. And in large bookstores have pornography removed entire floors.
6. The age of consent in Japan is 13. This means that from this age for voluntary sex is not considered rape.
7. Thus in Japan one of the lowest percentages of rape in the world. Probably, this indicator benefits from two paragraphs above.
8. A third of weddings in the country – the result of organized matchmaking and the parents of the bride.
9. In restaurants it is not customary to pay tips. It is believed that if the client tries to leave extra money, it devalues the service. The attempt to reward a tip is perceived as a handout.
10. The Japanese talk a lot about food. While eating definitely happy with the meal. It is considered extremely rude not to utter several times during the meal “delicious”.
11. The Japanese are real workaholics. Usually people come here to work at least half an hour before the start of the day, and work 15-18 hours without a break for lunch.
12. In Japanese there is even a special word that means death from overwork. The word is “karoshi”, and each year with this diagnosis dies about ten thousand people.
13. In Japan there are no guest workers. According to local law, the minimum wage for the foreign worker exceeds the average salary of a Japanese. So if the Japanese invite foreigners, it is only highly qualified specialists.
14. In cities in the North of Japan all the sidewalks are heated in winter, so there’s no ice. But Japan has no Central heating. Each heats your house yourself.
15. On the streets of Japan you can see the special stands with umbrellas. If it starts raining, you can take any umbrella. And when the rain will stop, the umbrella should be left in the nearest stand.
16. People in Japan are extremely honest people. Lost wallet with a probability of 90% can be found in the lost and found.
17. In Japan there is the death penalty. On most executions personally present the Minister of justice.
18. Tokyo is the safest metropolis. Here is so calm that even six year old children to independently use public transport.
19. In Japan there are no cases of looting. Even after major destruction caused by earthquakes no one in the head does not come to encroach on someone else’s property.
20. Japanese cops are the most honest in the world, and not take bribes. Except that sometimes I can forgive a minor breach of the careless tourist.
21. In Japanese homes is considered normal, when my brother and sister do not communicate, and don’t even know the phone numbers of each other.
22. Japan has very low pensions. Maximum social benefits to the elderly is around $ 300. It is believed that every Japanese person should take care of in their old age.
23. The Japanese almost never call to her house. In most cases, the invitation to “come up” need to be taken just as a polite turn of phrase.
24. In Japan, the first to always serve men. The restaurant man is the first order, and bring him the first drink. All institutions are first greeted with a man and then with women.
25. Japanese phones are built the emergency alert system. If it happens some cataclysm, all phones in this region triggered a loud signal. Following this, appears a message that clarifies what happened and how to behave.